Skip to main content

ArcGIS 10 - My big question for esri

Good news! ArcGIS 10 is released now and available for download (Conditions apply!)!

As a student I have always striven to keep in touch with the latest software in the domain of GIS, office suite, open source software and so on. Almost all the software vendors have a very liberal policy regarding their software at least for testing purposes. It may be ERDAS, Microsoft, FME and so on. All these companies are ready to provide a beta/trial release for free to any user. They insist on registering, which is good, as they can keep track of number of downloads etc. This way I have used ERDAS Imagine 2010, Microsoft Office 2010 beta, FME Desktop 2010(still using) and many more.


Right from the announcement of ArcGIS 9.4 beta till its release now as ArcGIS 10, I have been keeping track of the software. I was very hopeful of getting a beta release like other software but only customers had the privilege. I agree that a student may not be able to test the software in a dedicated manner like professionals but still there are many other customers who are not under maintenance (which is a mandatory requirement by Esri, for any testing or support) who would definitely do a good job for Esri.

My hopes of downloading older version 9.3 were dashed last year when I first started learning ArcGIS. Then it was available only on request in the form of an evaluation DVD. Unfortunately my communication was unanswered by the local ESRI distributor. Even this time for ArcGIS 10 it appears to be the same situation. I really can't understand why Esri has such highly restrictive policy regarding their software. Do they want to remain in an elite club of software makers? Of course Esri is really famous for the most useful software in the domain, but wouldn't it be more famous if easy options for download and testing were available? The current situation bars any software enthusiast even from having a look at the industry leader's product! How unfortunate?!

I have also been requesting for download option through esri's twitter channel with mention esri, but it was of no use. Anyway what can I do? Everybody, be it an individual or an organization have the freedom to frame their own policies. Let me hope I will find the latest package in some organization!

Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning off a Dell Laptop Monitor: Keyboard shortcut(s)

I am someone who is particular about power savings and I don't leave appliances powered on when not in use. The same applies to computing devices - be it a smartphone or a PC/Laptop. I power off the desktop monitor when I step out for a tea break or hit Fn+F2 on my Lenovo laptop that turns off the display. Recently, I got a Dell Laptop and I was surprised to discover that Dell does not provide any shortcut to turn off the display. This led to some exploration and I found two ways to achieve that which are outlined below - 

Resolving INS-20802: Oracle Net Configuration Assistant failed error on Windows 10

I was all excited about the migration to Windows 10 until I had to install Oracle client 12.1.0.2 on it. The Oracle client installation used to fail miserably at the last stage with this error named INS-20802.

SSL VPN: Configuring and Using Forticlient on Ubuntu, creating a Launcher

Is your primary OS at home Linux and do you use Windows only to connect to your work PC over VPN or to attend meetings?  Do you often wish to connect to your work VPN from a Linux PC?  If your answer is 'Yes' to the above questions, I have an answer if your workplace uses Fortinet SSL VPN. Note that it's possible to connect to Fortinet and other VPNs like Cisco VPN from Linux through the inbuilt network manager by installing additional tools but this post would focus on using the standard Forticlient for accessing the resources on your work network. Obtaining Forticlient The most important thing to note w.r.t. using Forticlient for Ubuntu (or any Linux distro) is to note that the client is not publicly available for download from the official website. You will have to ask your IT department to download the client for you, in case they haven't provided it.